Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Why do I even have this?

I mean, really, if months at a time will be going by without it being used, why bother? But, then again, when I finally remember and come back to it, the moment of "Oh, yeah! I can do this again, can't I?" is kind of nice.

In the time between my last post and this one, I have truly come to the realization that to live life properly, you have to be a little bit selfish at times. This is not exactly new information, but it's hit home. And I don't mean the kind of selfish where you wander through life completely oblivious to the fact that there are others around you and that they are all deserving of respect. But it's become quite clear to me that often, when you spend too much time trying to show that respect, a situation can be created whereby you completely lose track of your own needs in the process.

In the past few months, I have seen firsthand the devastating effect this can have. It has taken a long time to recover, in many ways. Fortunately I managed to learn a lesson (I think!) and avoided doing serious damage to a relationship that is highly important to me. Time will tell. But in the meantime, I know that the best thing I can do is look after myself, because only then am I going to be in shape to make sure I can also look after others.

No comments:

Post a Comment