Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cell Phone Rudeness

I have no serious issue with people using their cell phones in public. Isn't that the point of them? I myself merrily text and check e-mail as I walk through the mall, although I do make sure I watch where I'm going. I don't need to run headlong into some muffin-topped teenybopper as she texts without watching where she is going. And as long as people don't feel the need to yell, I see nothing wrong with making a call, providing you're not in a movie theatre or something.

However...

Is it really too much to ask that you NOT stand there having some inane conversation about which parking meter to meet at while I'm trying to serve you in the store? Seriously. I have had customers come up to the counter, chattering away, point at a product, hand me a credit card, and sign the receipt without ever once saying a word to me. Clearly it is of such utmost importance that you find out what your friend Julie has been up to for the last week that you can't take the (literally) two minutes to grab your damned mascara, pay, say thank you, and leave without having the damn phone glued to your ear. I realize there is no consultation involved, and you know exactly what you want. But I am not a vending machine, and a little human courtesy is in order.

It's okay, though. We totally talk about you after you leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment